Sunday, January 07, 2007

Prensa Latina

For my first recommendation in the Year of the Dolphin, 2007, I am happy to report this very useful site, Prensa Latina, the Latin American News Agency.

What makes this site so valuable is that it is up-to-the minute reporting of issues affecting the Latino World... in English. I was led to this website tonite by searching on "Yucatan" (the state where I live) on a new search engine called Swamii (also not a bad site to know about). The news items I read were recent (today's news) and were things I had not read about by doing the same search in Google News. There was a news story about AMLO traveling in the Yucatan this weekend and another one with details about recent locust swarms in the Yucatan. Both news stories filed today which I probably could have read about in the local Spanish-language paper. But now I have this resource too.

Try it... you just might bookmark it!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

No offense but do you realize that Prensa Latina is the official wire service of the Cuban Gov't. It is no different than reading or citing VOA - it is a gov't propoganda agency so there will always be a slant.

Ellen Fields said...

I'm not offended. Thanks for pointing this out. I think it's good to read a lot of different news sources, but it's important to know where they are coming from. I'll keep that in mind when I read this site from now on.

Luckily, I don't think there's much spin on the story about locusts. They didn't once mention Revelations or the Anti-Christ :-)

mcm said...

For excellent English language summary of current political and economic news about Mexico, take a look at www.mexicotoday.blogspot.com, Ana Maria Salazar's blog. She also hosts two English-language news programs about Mexico, both available as streaming audio and MP3 downloads (www.imagen.com.mx/news).